Pittsfield Township Historical Society
 
Michigan  
  Go to Related Society
 

Farm Museums
   Sutherland Wilson Farm
Parks
   Pittsfield Preserve

Cemeteries
Grange Hall
   Local Foods
School Houses
Township Hall
Other Properties

Railroads
   Pittsfield Junction
Trails and Roads
Rivers and Streams

Archaeological Digs

Change Font Size:
Increase font size Decrease font size Restore default font size
 School Houses of Pittsfield Township, Michigan
Side view of Valentine School in January, 2003

During the summer of 1825, Pittsfield erected the first schoolhouse in Washtenaw County (Malletts Creek School). Built of logs, it was located on the northwest quarter of section 11 (near Platt and Packard roads). The history of this and other Pittsfield Township schools are included here.

Table of Contents

  • Carpenter School (preceded by Malletts Creek School)
    • First, 1837-1854? (formerly located southeast of Packard and Carpenter Roads)
    • Second, 1854-1911 (formerly located southwest of Packard and Carpenter Roads; the wood structure was destroyed by fire in 1911)
    • Third, 1914-1952 (southwest of Packard and Carpenter Roads, at 3360 Carpenter Road, 4/10th mile south of Packard and just south of the Second Carpenter School site; the brick structure later became Ozzie's Furniture before being destroyed to make room for Carpenter Place)
    • Fourth, 1952- (southeast corner of Central and Dayton)

  • Clemente School - see Roberto Clemente School (below)
  • Dold School (located on the corner of Wagner and Ellsworth; now a residence.)
  • Forten School
  • , 1837-1857. (located across Bemis Road from the later Fosdick School, this school served Pittsfield Fractional School District No. 7 and York No. 3; in 1857, this school was sold and Valentine School was built on Michigan Avenue. See also Fosdick School.)

  • Fosdick School (507 Bemis Road; now a residence. See also Forten School.)
    • First, 1831?-??
    • Second, ??-1868 (one-room brick structure that stood immediately "in front of" the third-school location)
    • Third, 1868-?? (now a residence)

  • Malletts Creek School, 1825-1853 (south of Packard 7/10th mile west of Carpenter Road near northeast corner of Packard and Platt Roads; this was the first school in Washtenaw County -- and predecessor to the first Carpenter and Stone schools; remains of the school were still visible in the 1880s)
  • Meadowview School, 1953-? (on Textile Road; preceded by Roberts School)
  • Mills School, 1832-??
    • First, 1832-1835 (held in "the old Mills house on the Ann Arbor and Saline Rd")
    • Second, 1835-1840 (a log structure, standing "about 1/4 mile south of the present school")
    • Third, 1840-1856 (a "frame building ... about 1/4 mile south of the present school")
    • Fourth, 1856-??

  • Mitchell School, 1952-present (preceded by Platt School)
  • Oakgrove School (on Warner, south of Willis in York Township; this "fractional" school district previously served a portion of Pittsfield Township)
  • Oakgrove / Oaklawn School, 1832-? (on the northeast corner of Bemis and Carpenter roads)
  • Pittsfield School, 1945-present (preceded by Platt School)
  • Platt School, 1926-195? (originally located west of Platt a short distance south of Packard; preceded by Carpenter and Stone Schools)
  • Roberto Clemente School (4377 Textile)
  • Roberts School, 1837-1953 (formerly at the southeast corner of Carpenter and Michigan Avenue)
    • First, 1837-1860 (a log structure at the corner of US 112 [Michigan Ave.] and 23)
    • Second, 1860-1953. (succeeded by Meadowview School)

  • Scarlett Intermediate School
  • Stone School (preceded by Malletts Creek School)
    • First, 1854-1911 (previously on the northwest corner of Packard and Stone School roads; destroyed)
    • Second, 1911- (southeast corner of Packard and Stone School Roads, its original location; now a nursery school)

  • Sutherland School, ??-??
    • First (a log structure)
    • Second, 1880-? (now a home at 900 Textile Rd., its original location, across the road from historic Sutherland-Wilson Farm)

  • Town Hall School
    • First, 1840-1851 (a wood building with two windows on either side, "about 60 rods East of Murray's house;" after the brick school was built in 1852, this was moved and used for various farm purposes)
    • Second, 1852-189? (a brick structure, formerly at the southeast corner of Morgan and Thomas roads; destroyed)
    • Third, 1895-1957 (formerly at the southeast corner of Morgan and Thomas roads; relocated to the campus of Eastern Michigan University)
    • See also: Memories of Town Hall School, by Ruth (Burgar) MacFarlane<

  • Valentine School, 1857-195? (north side of Michigan Avenue between State Street and Saline, Michigan, next to Crispen Chevrolet) (preceded by Forten School)
  • Jump to top of page  Top Link to this page  Link to this page