Pittsfield Township Historical Society
 
Michigan  
  Go to Related Society
 

Farm Museums
   Sutherland Wilson Farm
Parks
   Pittsfield Preserve

Cemeteries
Grange Hall
   Local Foods
School Houses
Township Hall
Other Properties

Railroads
   Pittsfield Junction
Trails and Roads
Rivers and Streams

Archaeological Digs

Change Font Size:
Increase font size Decrease font size Restore default font size
 Stone School (Second), 1911- (Pittsfield #7 Fractional)
Stone School, front view

Location: Southeast corner of Packard and Stone School Roads, its original location.

Caption: For many years the school has been employed as a nursery school. which is shown in the current photos.

Note: The following account was written by the students attending Stone School during 1940-1941.

The first settlers in the territory surrounding the Stone School House took up the land from the United States Government in 1825. They came from Connecticut. The little colony was known as the Malletts Creek Settlement. Some of the first settlers were Samuel McDowell, Ezra Maynard, William and Emily Barr.

Stone School, angle view

The first school house in Washtenaw county was built by the people of this settlement in 1825. However, the first school in the county was not held in a building. During the summer, before the school was built, Elzada Fairbrother taught a group of children in an open air meeting place under some oak trees in a woods east of what is now the Nordman farm.

The first school was located at the northwest corner of the east half of the northwest quarter of section eleven in what is now Pittsfield Township. Miss Harriet G. Parsons who came from Enfield, Connecticut in 1824 was the first teacher in this building. The school house was built of logs.

The township was named for William Pitt. John Quincy Adams was president of the United States and Louis [sic] Cass was governor of the Michigan Territory.

The roads were just trails and there were no bridges. The first families had a hard time getting food. They had to crush corn, clear the land to raise vegetables and other food. It was a long time before they could have fruit, since they had to wait until the trees could grow. In 1880 Packard Road was known as the South Ypsilanti Road and what is now Washtenaw Road was known as the Middle Ypsilanti Road. The home of R. C. Campbell on Packard Road was built in 1843.

The Old Stone School House was built in 1854. The land for this building was obtained from the Ticknor estate in the form of a lease. It was leased to the district for as long as it is used for a school. If it is used for any other purpose it is to revert to the estate. Later it was deeded to the district. The stones for the building were obtained from the Ticknor and Hutzel farms. The first teacher in this new building was Miss Mary Collins. The Collins' home was located about a quarter of a mile west of what is now Platt. It was used as a station for the "Underground Railway" for runaway slaves before the Civil War. It was located about where the Gleason house now stands.

In 1911 the new stone school was built. The old building was torn down and the stones were used [for] the present stone building. The frame building was built in 1923 as a tempo[ar]y building. The land for this school was purchased from the Ticknor and Hutzel estates. The well was made in 1925.

In 1920 there was made a cinder path leading from the Ann Arbor city limits to Platt. The labor was donated by the people of the two districts. The district had to haul the cinders from the University.

In 1921 the first Parent Teacher Association was organized in the district. Mr. Sommer was the first president. From 1918 to 1927 the school was under the supervision of the Michigan State Normal College of Ypsilanti. It was used as a training school for student teachers. During the time that the college used it as a training school they served hot lunches at noon. In 1925 a meeting was held at the school to celebrate the first one hundred for a school in the county. The centennial committee was composed of Mr. A. W. Sommer, Dr. A. L. Ferguson and Mr. R. C. Campbell. [Souvenir enclosed]

Members of the Anderson and Ticknor families were living in the district while Michigan was still a territory. Some others in the following list have been here for over sixty years. This list is intended to include the names of families that have been in the district for more than forty years. Anderson. Bohnet. Campbell, Chalmers, Clark, Darling, Ellsworth, Frey, Harrison, Harpst, Hutzel, Nordman, Godfrey, Read, Rose, Smith, Steere, Sommer.

Residents of the community who have taught in the schools of the District include Mrs. Edith Leverett, Mrs. Carrie Read Campbell, Miss Edith A. Steere, Miss Elizabeth B. Steere, and Mr. A. W. Sommer. Mrs. Mildred Robinson, although not a resident of the district, is so well known by the children of the school and most of the parents, that we feel that her name will not be out of place among the names of former teachers who are residents of the community.

During the summer of 1939 it was decided to fit up the west room of the frame building and employ another teacher to relieve the crowded condition of the other two rooms being used at that time. This was done and Mr. John Leeman was employed to teach in this room.

Mrs. Nanry had taught in the district since 1928, the following pupils are enrolled in her room this year:

Beginners

Raymond Barnard, Jack Bement, Douglas Bock, Joe Bone, Kenneth Buchan, Patsy Clark, Barbara Cole, Audry Struble, John Cook, LeRoy Darwin, Mary Marline Draper, Evelyn Dresch, Betty Lou Frey, Henry Gleason, Cecil Hogan, Richard Wilson, Kenneth Hogan, Patsy Hopp, Vivian Hutton, Marie Larson, Norma Lovelace, Karl Reid Miller, Frederick George Stoll

The above children attend school only two hours each day, from one until three in the afternoon.

The following children are in the first grade and attend school only in the forenoon.

Grace Aldridge, Glenn Barnard, Joe Baylis, Cecillia Bachan, Billy Carstens, Jacky Chase, Douglas Clark, Robert Cole, Armond Dresch, Maxine Haselton, Andrea Hogquist, Patricia Kintigh, Robert Onago, Patty Schuler, Helen Wallo

The following nine pupils are in the second grade and remain at school all day.

Paul Atwood, Byron Barnard, Frank Collins, Jeannine Draper, Margret Gleason, Warren Hanson, Priscilla Miley, Virginia Onago, Arline O'Toole

Since only the first and second grades attend school in the morning Mrs. Nanry had twenty-three Pupils during the forenoon. During the afternoon when the second grade and beginners are in school she has thirty-three. School in this room is dismissed at three o'clock.

Mr. Morisio has the third, fourth, and fifth grades in his room. The following eleven children are in the third grade this year:

Diane Ashley, James Chase, James Driscoll, Emerson Greeman, Junior Hanson, Arnold Hazelton, Charles Jones, Charles Lovelace, Robert Morristown, Betty Ann Trout, Richard Weldon

There are fourteen children in the fourth grade:

Jack Baylis, Neil Bement, Dorothy Bochan, Jan Carstens, Robert Harbin, Teddy Hariton, Jean Hepner, Marion Hepner, Gordon Johnson, Nancy Marken, Leona Shankland, Barbara Kintigh, Betty Wallo, Ann Hutton

Thirteen pupils are enrolled in the fifth grade:

Robert Ashley, Donna Cornish, Mabel Gleason, James Godfrey, Jacquelyn Johnson, Marion Cavicorn, Nancy Morrison, Elinor O'Toole, David Bird, Jack Rigan, Robert Russell, Charles Shankland, Wilmer Shankland

Since all three of this grades attend school all day Mr. Morisio has thirty-eight pupils from 8:30 until 3:30 each day.

Mrs. Walton has taught in the district since 1933. She has grades six, seven, and eight in her room. There are sixteen children in the sixth grade:

William Bone, Anne Carl, Dorotha Cole, Marilyn French, Lorraine Glushyn, Billy Godfrey, Mary Emily Greenman, Barbara Johnson, Marlen Leuvlet, Gertrude Linderman, William Wallo, Patricia Page, Phillip Rigan, Erwin Schneider, Donald Schneider, Stanley Simpson

There are eleven children in the seventh grade this year:

Donald Bell, Bruce Perkins, Luella Hogan, Violet Page, Anne Hariton, Margret Hurley, Russell Taylor, Charles Gray, Barbara Smith, Shirley Ernst, Donald Martin

This year there are twelve children in the eighth grade:

Nancy Baylis, Richard Cole, Maxine Goodlin, Joanne Marken, Edsell Page, Betty Pelton, Donald Russell, Isabel Standbridge, Jean Marsh, Kenneth Taylor, Ellen Gleason, Billy Weldon.

There are thirty-nine pupils attending classes in this room this year.

The pupils of the seventh and eighth grades are required to pass three tests each year. The questions for these tests are prepared by Mrs. Robinson of the County Commissioner's Office. The pupils of these grades are passed by this office in Ann Arbor. They receive their slips of promotion during the summer after school has closed.

A very high percentage of the Stone School graduates continue their studies in high schools of the county. All but two of the graduates of Stone School during the past eight years have attended high schools either in Ann Arbor or Ypsilanti. They have made enviable records in these schools, both their grades and conduct have been a credit to the community. For the past three years a pupil from Stone School has been elected president of the Student Counsel {sic} of Tap[p]an School, the year following their graduation here. This year Arline Staudenmaier is president, last year Hamilton Cole of the class of '39 was president, the year before Carl Ernst of the class of '38 was so honored. This is very unusual because the pupils from our school attend Tappan only one year, and are a small percentage of the class that elects them to this office.

For several years we have had active 4H clubs, sewing and woodwork groups. Several of our pupils have been sent to Lansing to represent their clubs at Farmer's Week. Last year a Boy Scout Troop was organized and this year a Girl Scout Troop ;has been added. Both are active at this time.

Stone has an interested Parent-Teacher organization which meets at the school on the fourth Friday of each month. The officers this year are: President - Clifford Lovelace, V ice President - Mrs. Cole, Treasurer - Mrs. Greenman, and Secretary - Mrs. Walton.

Stone School has five members on the Board of Education: Mr. R. C. Campbell, Dr. Emerson Greenman, Charles McCalla, Carl Ernst, and George Moyer.

The committee that prepared this history was composed of pupils of the seventh and eighth grades chosen by the room. They were Violet Page, Kenneth Taylor, Isabel Standbridge, Maxine Goodlin, Billy Weldon, Nancy Baylis, and Russell Taylor.

[Picture of first Stone School]

Caption: This is a picture of the first Stone School which was built in 1854. In the center between the two doors was a small room for wood. The builders of the building seemed afraid of the stone walls at the ends of the building and for the purpose of support placed iron rods through the heavy beams, one of which shows above the front doors. These rods reached the full length of the building.

[Picture of the new Stone School]

Caption: This is a picture of the new Stone Building which was built in 1911 and is still in use. The door which shows in the picture opens into a center hall. There is a cloak room on either side of this hall. There are three doors into the main room of the building, which is 32'-10" by 23'-6". This building has a full basement with a cement floor. In the basement is the furnace for heating the building. In the basement also is located all equipment for serving dinners: tables, benches, dishes, silverware, and fifty folding chairs (which were bought by the P.T.A.).

There is a piano in this building which was bought by the P.T.A. a few years ago. There also is a platform (stored on the attic) which is used for school plays. Curtains and some other equipment needed for such entertainment also are provided.

[Picture of frame building]

Caption: This is the frame building which is located across the street from the other building. This building has two rooms and a hall, which is in the center of the structure. In this hall is located the furnace used to heat the east room. The west room is heated by a stove. These rooms are 25'-6" by 19'-6". The lighting in these rooms are [sic] very good, most of the north side being windows. There are three small windows on the south side which provide cross ventilation without drafts. Both the buildings are provided with electric lights.

Source: Pittsfield Township records, box 1, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. This entry is from a history of Washtenaw County Schools written by students in the schools and loaned to the Bentley Historical Library by Julius W. Haab, County Superintendent, August 1943. It has been edited slightly for inclusion on the Pittsfield Township Historical Society Website.

Jump to top of page  Top Link to this page  Link to this page