Pittsfield Township Historical Society :: Dold School
Print Close Window

by Carl Pfitzenmaier

Name and Location

Our School is called the Dold School. It was named after one of our present members of the district. It is located in Section 13 of Lodi Township on the corner of Ellsworth and Wagner road. It is a fractional district namely Lodi and Pittsfield. The school is about five miles from Ann Arbor and about four and a half miles from Saline. It is one half mile north of the Saline Ann Arbor road. The roads are good at all times every year, in winter they are kept passable by means of our modern county road equipment.

Other Locations of School Buildings

The other buildings are the boyūs and girlūs lavatory. The boyūs lavatory is on the west side of the schoolhouse. It is made of wood and has a pointed roof. The girlūs lavatory is on the east side of the schoolhouse and is made of wood. The garage is on the east side of the schoolhouse. It is made of wood and it has a flat roof. The garage faces the north. Our school also faces the north.

Our Lighting System

We have electric lights in our school which colonial children did not have. We have three windows on the east side and three on the west. We have one window in each cloakroom facing the north. We have three electric lights in the main building. They are in triangle form. We also have electric lights in the hall, on the porch and in the basement.

Our Heating System

The Dold School is heated by a furnace. The name of the furnace is a Kalamazoo Furnace. It has been installed since 1939. The school has always been heated by a furnace. There are four hot air registers and three cold air registers which help to regulate the heat. There is also an electric janitor which came along with the furnace. If sometimes the schoolroom should get a little too warm the teacher raises the window so there is fresh air coming in. There is generally a pail of water on the register at the back of the room to keep the air from becoming to dry.

The fuels we burn are wood and coal. There is a basement in this school so we store it there. The registers are put in convenient places around the room. There is a water pan with this furnace it must be kept full of water. One of our board members builds our fire every Monday morning so it is warm when we get to school.

Heating Schools in Early Days

The way they heated schools in the early days was by fireplace. The heat did not go around the room very good. If you stood by the fireplace your face would burn and your back would be cold. In the morning the teachers or a big boy would go to the school early to start the fire. When the other children came to school it would be warmer.

In 1742 Benjamin Franklin invented a stove which sent the heat into the room. None of it went up the chimney so the school was warm. They did not have any matches. The way they started the fire was to have a piece of hard stone which was flint struck against a piece of steel which started a flame. If it went out the children were sent over to the neighbors to get fire.

Seating and other Furniture in our Room

We have four rows of seats in our room. They each have six seats which makes twenty-four seats altogether. Three rows are for the older pupils and one row for the small pupils.

The teacherūs desk faces north and the seats face towards the teacherūs desk. Near the teacherūs desk is a Kadette radio. Our piano sets in the southwest corner. We have two librarys on the west side of the room. We have a table for the little folks in the southwest corner and we have a bench near the table. We have a large tin cabinet under the table we have three small chairs for the little folks. We have a chart facing north. We have three blackboards one facing north one facing west and one facing east.

We also have a large sand table which is used to portray different scenes of the year.

Teachers of Today

The teachers of today must go to college at least three or four years to get a good education. Years ago teachers had very little education. Today we have more textbooks, seatwork, playground equipment, and things to work with. Most all teachers of today furnish their own means of transportation.

Some of Our Early Teachers

Date: Teacher
1865: Ruthette Kerr
1866: Emily Kerr
1867: Sarah Hughes
1867: Georgianna Rogers
1868: Charles Burnett
1868: M. Mulholland
1869: F. Armstrong
1869: Laurell Foster
1870: Lottie Preston
1871: Maria Treat
1872: Lena Gueniss
1874: L. Foster
1876: Helen Buzard
1877: Bertha Baur
1878: B. H. Taylor
1886: Sarah Zimmermann
1889: Effie Hood
1890: Allie Hammel
1894: Mabel Wallace
1899: Pauline Klager
1902: Helen Burfield
1903: Charlotte Latson
1904&1906: Harriett White
1907: Martha Larkin
1908: Rhoda Miller
1909-1911: Nina Hunter
1912&1913: Louise Kemph
1914-1916: Ferne Bell
1917: Hazel Broomfield
1918: Frances Todd
1919: Lonella Hehr
1920-1922: Ethel Hoffmeyer
1923&1924: Mrs. Hicks
1925-1930: Helen Klumpp
1930-1941: Helen Klumpp Gross

Hazel Broomfield Blaess and Ethel Hoffmeyer Dickson are still teaching in the county. Mrs. Gross has taught our school for sixteen years.

Source: Pittsfield Township records, box 1, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. This entry is from a history of Washtenaw County Schools written by students in the schools and loaned to the Bentley Historical Library by Julius W. Haab, County Superintendent, August 1943. It has been edited slightly for inclusion on the Pittsfield Township Historical Society Website.

 

Printer-friendly page
Original Web Page Address:

Site: © 2002-2017 by: Pierian Press Web Services | Hosted by: Stratton House Inn
Content: © 2002-2017 Pittsfield Township Historical Society. All rights reserved.