Pittsfield Township Historical Society
 
Michigan  
  Go to Related Society
 

Archives
Photographs
Recent Gifts

Featured Artifacts
   House Furnishings

Change Font Size:
Increase font size Decrease font size Restore default font size
 Featured Household Funishings in Sutherland-Wilson Farmhouse
1826 Sofa in the Sutherland-Wilson Farmhouse parlor.

1826 Sofa: In August 2005, the Pittsfield Township Historical Society received a beautiful 1826 sofa for display in the Sutherland-Wilson Farmhouse. Although the Sutherland-Wilson Farm was started in 1832 and the house was built a short time afterwards, this type of even-older sofa was found in homes of that era. Click image to enlarge.

3 diamonds used to separate entries

1876 Estey parlor organ in Sutherland-Wilson farmhouse.

1876 Estey Parlor Organ: In July 2005, the Pittsfield Township Historical Society received a beautiful Estey pump organ for display in the Sutherland-Wilson Farmhouse. This type of organ also is called a parlor or cottage organ. Click image to enlarge.

The pump organ was manufactured by the J. Estey Company of Brattleboro, Vermont. Its serial number is 54628, which means it was manufactured some time between 1874 and 1876. During the life of the company, which closed in the 1950s, it produced 510,000 organs both pump and pipe.

The pump organ previously was owned by Mrs. Margaret Gilbert. It subsequently was acquired by Russell Payeur, who gifted it to the Pittsfield Township Historical Society.

Jump to top of page  Top Link to this page  Link to this page